Past Events - 2010
- November26th-December 1st: CG flew to Beirut to spend 5 intensive days touring the refugee camps and assessing a possible role for IMET2000 involvement.
- October 16th-27th: Together with Ms Jo Myers and Dr Keith Judkins, CG worked in Ramallah on finalising the burns protocols in English ready for them to be translated as final versions in Arabic. The workshop on 20th and 21st was run by Dr Anas Sfah and was successful. The protocols were finalised and generally agreed after much discussion in a group of some 30 people.
- October 12th-16th: Sponsored by IMET2000, Dr Nafiz Shaban and Dr Anas Sfah, came to London to work together for two days to finalise their recommendations for the protocols then on the 15th joined in the Emergency Management of Severe Burns workshop run in Broomfield Hospital.
- July 18th-20th: A total of 12 young scientists from Kharkov were sponsored by IMET2000 to participate in the CRYO-2010 meeting in Bristol and several of them presented verbal reports or posters. One of them won First Prize as best young scientist presentation.
- June 28th-July7th: CG worked in Palestine first on the proposed protocols for burns then on the 3rd July crossing into Gaza via Eratz together with Dr John Beavis. From the 4th to 6th the 2 of us together with the Dean of the Islamic University Medical School Dr Mofeed Mokhalalati and Dr Nafiz Shaban spent time in Al Shifa Hospital Burns Unit, the small unit in Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis in the south and the proposed new build in the European Hospital also in Khan Younis. A full report on our recommendations was written later for the Gaza MoH and for MAP.
- June 21st-24th: IMET2000 sponsored Dr Nafiz Shaban from Gaza and Dr Anas Sfah from Nablus to attend the European Burns Society Annual Meeting in Istanbul. This proved to be an excellent experience for both of them as they had never met before and are both key figures in any proposed upgrading of the Burns Service in Palestine.
- May26th-31st: CG worked in the Ukraine together with BJF and joined in the Young Scientist Meeting ( held each year).
- May 20th-26th: Dr Nafiz Shaban, Head of the Burns Unit in Al Shifa Hospital, Gaza, sponsored by IMET2000 arrived in London for an intensive tour of Wessex burns units and discussions with senior colleagues in the UK re becoming involved in the Queen Mary University London Diploma in ‘Management of Severe Burns’. In that time he met Professor Simon Myers in QMUL on the 21st re the Diploma; Professor Sir Iain Chalmers in Oxford (and talked about his experience to Oxford medical students group OxPal) on the 22nd; met with Dr Ghassan Abu Sitta in London on the 23rd;met with Dr Baljit in Queen Victoria Hospital on the 24th re the teleburns computerised network planned to link all the Wessex units; met withDr Tyler and the staff at Stoke Mandeville also on the 24th; and finally spent the whole morning on the 25th in Broomfield Hospital meeting with Professor Peter Duvroski, Head of the Burns Centre before flying back to Cairo in the afternoon.
- January 31st-February5th: Together with Dr Malik Zaben, CG flew to Abu Dhabi to meet up with Professor Abu Mowais and Dr Anis Al-Hajjeh from Palestine, the mission of all four to sell our programmes to the business community and try to raise substantial funds.
- January 16th-24th: Sponsored byMAP-IMET2000, ten Palestinian surgeons, nurses, administrators and engineers arrived from Amman for an intensive tour of UK Burns Units with a view to upgrading the Burns Service in the West Bank and setting up advanced training opportunities in collaboration with UK experts. CG drove them around large, medium and small units starting with Broomfield in Chelmsford, thence to Stoke Mandeville, Birmingham, Chelsea and Queen Victoria Hospitals in the Wessex region. It was exhausting for all but really worthwhile. The visit ended when all 10 were guests of honour at the IMET2000 Annual Dinner held in the House of Commons.
IMET2000 has awarded Iryna Buriak of the Kharkov Institute a travel bursary to attend “The 13th International Conference on Animal Physiology 2017” to be held on June 21st-23rd,2017 in the Congress Centre ACADIMIA (Stara Lesna, Slovakia) organised by the Slovak Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Animal Physiology...Read more >